Stand Alone Solar Systems
Living off the grid or installing a solar system is one of the best ways to ensure your home has electricity. Its also the perfect solution for you if you are;
- Concerned about rising energy bills?
- Owner of a property where you live remotely?
- Or worried about your carbon footprint?
Stand alone solar systems is genuinely concerned with the costs associated with the connection of electricity to the utility or main grid. That’s why we have developed a range of customised solar solutions that are not only significantly cheaper overall than conventional electricity sources, but that also provide a much more reliable source of electricity with no unexpected and inconvenient power surges or black outs.
If you live in a remote location or suburbia, our stand alone solar systems can help you save money on your power bills and reduce your carbon footprint.
Why Choose A Stand Alone Solar System?
Installing a complete stand alone solar system can be a huge benefit to you and your home, especially for those that live remotely and need the security of an independent energy system. But there’s no denying that saving money on power bills is something everyone is interested in doing, no matter where you live or what the number at the bottom of the bill actually is. While there are a few ways to save money on electricity, few can beat a fully customised stand alone solar system.
There are unique benefits to living off the grid that only installing a stand alone solar system can provide:
- Environmentally friendly: Stand alone solar systems provide a clean, green source of reliable energy straight from the sun. They capture sunlight during the day and convert it into electricity that gets stored in the system’s battery bank, so you’ll still have power even when the sun isn’t shining.
- Cost -effective & money saving: Once you install a stand alone solar system you’ll never have to pay an electricity bill ever again, because you’ll be producing electricity from your own power source. There are also very little or no ongoing running or maintenance costs, so once your stand alone solar system is installed you won’t have to pay for electricity again and will save yourself thousands of dollars over its lifetime. In addition, with the Federal Government’s solar incentive scheme, you’ll also be able to save a significant amount on the upfront costs.
- Trackable & silent power production: Our specially designed solar systems are completely silent as they produce electricity to power your home, so you’ll never be bothered by the noise of loud power generators.
- Effective all year round: You’ll always have a reliable source of solar power, even in the colder months when the sun doesn’t shine as long. Your off grid system solar system will always keep a backup of stored power in its battery bank, so you can rest assured your home will always have electricity.
- No blackouts or power surges: The electricity that runs from your stand alone solar system is consistent and dependable, and when the rest of your street experiences blackouts or power surges from fallen power lines, your solar system will keep on running and keep your home powered.
- Can be combined with a wind turbine: If you’re in a location that doesn’t see much sunlight during the year, your stand alone solar system can easily be combined with a wind turbine which will help it generate electricity without much sun.
- Reversible: Installing a stand alone solar system is completely reversible, so your home can easily be connected back to the main electricity grid again at any time if you need it to.
How They Work
Stand alone solar systems produce reliable and efficient electricity for your home using a relatively simple process.
- The sun shines on the solar panels on your rooftop, which then convert the sunlight into direct current (DC) electricity.
- The DC electricity is stored in the battery bank, and controlled by a solar charger which keeps the batteries charged.
- The stored energy in the batteries runs through an inverter, which converts the DC electricity into 240 volt alternating current (AC). This current is what households use and what you are probably more familiar with.
- The inverter then sends the AC electricity to your household through your existing switchboard, so you are able to power all your appliances and air conditioning units.
Why Choose Us?
Here at Stand Alone Power Systems we specialise in the design and installation of any sized stand alone off the grid solar system. Our design team has some of the highest qualified renewable energy engineers in Australia, while our installation team maintains the same integrity by performing reliable and quality installations every single time. We can offer you:
- Experience – Our specialized design team has been drawing up the best custom stand alone solar systems for over 10 years, and we have the experience to get the right system connected to your home.
- Efficiency – Our friendly and efficient installation team will have you off the grid in no time, with little or no interruption to your daily life as the installation is performed.
- Sincerity – We never take on a job we can’t do, so you can rely on us to give you the best possible service. We won’t make you pay for anything we can’t provide, so you can be rest assured you’re receiving only the highest quality products and service.
- Fairness – Some companies can charge excessively for design and installation services. We don’t. Our pricing structure is clear and reasonable, so contact us today for more information.
How Can We Help You
We realise that for many people installing a stand alone solar system to your home isn’t just a matter of preference. It’s a necessity.
Stand alone solar systems have been working to provide remote areas and properties with the means to power their homes, workshops and sheds without having to pay the electricity companies for costly power line installations or constantly rising diesel prices for generators. If you live remotely the cost for getting mains electricity connected can be a lot more than if you live in urban areas, so don’t take the risk and install a stand alone solar system instead.
We are able to supply and install stand alone systems to:
- Remote properties
And anything in between. No matter where you live or the type of property you have, we will have a customised solar solution to suit your needs.
No matter the challenge the team at Stand Alone Power Systems are able to offer you a customised stand alone solar system that will reliably power your home completely from the sun, has deep cycle battery cell technology to keep it running on rainy days and in emergencies, and is easily able to be reconnected to the mains electricity grid at any point in the future.
To complete the installation of stand alone solar systems we stock a wide range of products that are professionally constructed and tested in the harsh elements of the Australian outback, so we are confident that they match up with Australian standards and will you keep your home powered all year round, no matter how severe or changeable the climate is. We understand the different conditions that come with living in different parts of Australia, and we have reliable and affordable solar solution to suit your specific living conditions.
We provide all of the essential items and equipment for setting up and installing your stand alone solar system. From the panels on your rooftop, to the invertors and batteries needed to convert and store your energy, our technicians arrive with all the materials needed to get the job done in one fast and simple process.
Some of the reputable and trusted brands that Stand Alone Solar Systems are proud to work with include:
- Outback Power Systems
Stand Alone Power Systems only delivers solar panels that can withstand the intensity of the Australian sun. Our experience in the industry and our familiarity with the Australian climate give us the ability to expertly service your property with the best stand alone solar system for your needs and conditions.
We only stay with what we know, and we’re not trying to reinvent the wheel. Our attitude is simple; ‘if it’s not broken, why fix it’? So we’re not constantly trying to one-up our already tried and tested products – we know they work and are guaranteed to provide you with the highest quality solar power for your home.
Many manufacturers make claims regarding their product performances – but at Stand Alone Power Systems we aren’t interested in what a bloke in a white lab coat has to say. We focus all of our products on results from real experiences.
Some of our tried and tested brands include;
- Suntech Solar
- Rec Solar Panels
For more information on our solar panel suppliers and models including downloadable pdfs, see our Solar Panels page.
Mono or Poly crystalline?
Not sure what type of solar panel you need? The two main types of solar panels on the market are Mono or Poly crystalline, and the difference between them is in their manufacturing of solar cells and their efficiency. Generally speaking if you’re looking for the most efficient panel then it is usually a Monocrystalline. However there are many other factors which can contribute to the overall efficiency of your stand alone solar system, such as the distance of the battery bank to the solar array, the angle of the solar panels and more. Read our full post on monocrystalline vs polycrystalline panels here.
When we sourced inverters for our off grid solar systems we knew that we would need to find companies that were trustworthy and experienced – that’s why we picked only Australian made and designed inverters in the Stand Alone (off-grid) market.
These companies share over 60 years of experience in the development of power conversion equipment, and have products that have been tested in some of the harshest environments in the Australian Outback, so you can be sure they will withstand any environment.
By choosing Stand Alone Power Systems you are supporting locally made products and industries. All our products are backed by excellent warranties and support.
Solar regulators are designed to manage the charge coming in from the solar panels into the deep cycle batteries, which effectively stops them from being overcharged and causing damage. Selecting a regulator can be tough, and there are multiple factors to consider such as possible future upgrades and solar panel amp ratings. To save you from what can be a complicated and frustrating process our technicians and design team include all of this in your original design quote.
One of the best brands to work with for solar power regulators is Plasmatronics.
The Plasmatronics PL series of charge controllers are an Australian industry standard, and one of our personal favourite products to use. Tested and proven in the field, they provide an easy way to take control of your battery based renewable energy system. Plasmatronics have tens of thousands of units in service, in a huge variety of stand alone solar systems all over the country.
The Plasmatronics PL series has a well-earned reputation for versatility and reliability, will suit many different needs and markets including off grid solar, on the grid with back up, marine, mobile and industrial. Whatever your situation, we will have the perfect solar solution for you.
Max Power Point Regulation (MPPT) vs Switched Regulation (PWM)
If you know a little bit about off grid solar arrays and electronics, or have just done your homework, then you will know that this can be a hotly debated topic. After all, deciding which solar charging method is right for you and your home is an important factor. Stand alone solar systems are an investment so getting it right at installation can be crucial to the bottom line. For an open discussion of which is best, our FAQ topic covers this in depth.
If you would like more information on any of the above topics, a quote or a design don’t hesitate to contact us today using our online contact form or by calling us on 0428 678 513.